Thursday, April 17, 2008

On an island in the sea

"Orange is the color of my revolution"
Negritude on infiniphonic vibration.
For Aime Cesaire (rip)
On Poem-in-Your-Pocket-Day
AY1, N28
Linguist

from Cahier D'un Retour Au Pays Natal (Notebook of a Return to My Native Land):

and here at the end of this daybreak my virile prayer
that I hear neither the laughter nor the screams, my eyes
fixed on this town which I prophesy, beautiful,
grant me the savage faith of the sorcerer
grant my hands the power to mold
grant my soul the sword's temper
I won't flinch. Make my head into a figurehead
and as for me, my heart, do not make me into a father nor a brother
nor a son, but into the father, the brother, the son,
nor a husband, but the lover of this unique people.

--Aime Cesaire (1913-4/17/2008)

3 comments:

Wura-Natasha Ogunji said...

that's so so beautiful

Unknown said...

awwwwww ... yay!!!!! thank you :)

Ana-Maurine Lara said...

This is BEAUTIFUL.