What's Sambusi? Eh. It's (a) one of my favorite things in the world; (b) a Somali appetizer/snack/staple; (c) kinda like Samosa, but usually with ground beef; (d) delicious!
So, the first thing you need to know is that most people make their dough from scratch. We've never been most people in this house though, so whatever is the best thing we can find in the Asian aisle will be fine with us (and prolly you).
Here's what you need:
- 2+ lbs Halal Ground Beef (substitute potato or tofu if you must)
- Jalapeño Peppers (or any hottish peppers -- esp. long, green, finger-like ones)
- Onion (dice it small)
- Garlic (diced)
- Bell Peppers (dice it small)
- Cumin Seed (roast it, then grind it in a mortar)
- Limes (2 will be great)
- Salt (eh, just a little bit -- think of your blood pressure!)
- Tumeric Powder (here you can go as crazy as you like)
- Egg Roll Wrappers (Nasoya makes a nice one)
- Vegetable Oil (for fryin')
Here's what you wanna do:
- Boil the beef in water until fully cooked. Stir frequently.
- Once it's cooked (really brown, and the water is almost all boiled off), then add the salt.
- While this is all going down, roast and grind the Cumin Seed.
- Add 2 tsp of Tumeric to the beef.
- Add the lovely, yummy, aromatic ground cumin to the beef. (By now your whole house should smell delicious!)
- Stir. Eh! Go ahead, add more tumeric.
- Squeeze 2 limes into the beef.
- What? You want more Tumeric? Ga'head!
- Add the tiny little diced onions, garlic, and peppers to the meat.
- Stir and stir away. Okay, maybe just a little more Tumeric. Then that's it!
- Need salt? Maybe put a teensy bit more.
- Stir. You want that beef to be dry baby. Dry!
- Keep stirring.
Note: If it is Ramadan and you've been fasting all day, it would be nice if right about now the sun went down. Yes. Nice. While this is happening, prepare for Iftar. Sit. Eat. Break fast. Rest. Then pray. Ready? Time to finish Sambusi!
Now here's what you wanna do to finish it:
- Get your wrappers from the fridge.
- Get a plate.
- Get a small bowl of water.
- Get a big spoon.
- Get a sharp knife.
- Cut one corner off of the wrapper. Don't ask why. Just do it.
- Now, fold one corner in. Wet it, so it will stick.
- Fold it in again. Make a little cone out of it.
- Put the meat into the cone.
- Wet the top corner and fold over.
- Woo hoo!
- Now do this about 20 more times.
- Meanwhile, heat enough vegetable oil to cover the Sambusi. You want the oil hot, but not too hot to burn.
- Put the Sambusi in the oil when it's ready. It only needs to cook for about 20 seconds each side. You want it to be a nice, deep tan. No darker.
- Take it out of the oil as soon as it's done. Put it on paper towel. Pat the excess oil.
- Eat. Enjoy. Rest. Above all: Pray.